Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education
2009 SL Conference
The Virtual Worlds Best Practices in Education (VW-BPE) is a community-based conference that provides opportunities for participants of virtual worlds to share current teaching, learning and research practices in 3D virtual environments. Conference presentations focus on teaching/learning, scholarly work, projects, events, activities and new and innovative tools for virtual education. Conference presenters’ focus on the identification of ‘best practices in education’ designed for 3D virtual world technology.
Abstracts Due: Saturday February 28th 2009
Presentation proposals should:
1. Clearly state the Stream and Format you would like to present.
a. Games and Simulations
b. Distance Teaching/Learning
c. Theory, Research and Practice
d. Directed Teaching/Learning Practices
e. Projects and Events
f. Educational Tools and Products
Session Formats include:
a. Full Paper: 50 minute presentation
b. Brief Paper: 20 minute presentation
c. Roundtable or Panel: 80 minutes
d. Tutorial: Maximum 2 hours
e. Demonstration: Maximum 2 hours
2. Indicate how your work illustrates ‘best practices’.
3. Indicate the outcomes participants should expect from your session.
4. Describe the strategies you will use to engage participants in discussing, analyzing synthesizing, and/or applying the information you share.
5. Describe how your work might be applied to a particular or multiple sectors of education, i.e. K-12, large universities, community colleges, adult education, Second Life-specific, etc.
6. Include links to relevant Web sites or electronic copies of the materials you will share (electronic copies of materials can be provided later).
7. Indicate if you would like to publish your presentation in the Journal of Virtual Studies
Completed Papers for Publication are Due: Saturday March 21st 2009
Note: If you wish to also present at the conference please ensure you have your proposal into the Programs committee prior to the Feb 28th deadline.